Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sometimes you just need a cookie

I've been sick for over a month now, and sometimes the only thing that makes you feel better is a cookie.  I am a firm believer in the fact that food can heal you.  Not so much in terms of antioxidants, vitamins, etc.  Don't get me wrong, those are great and important, but I get great satisfaction from eating comfort foods.  And cookies are one of the first foods that I learned to bake so they are my go to comfort food. 

I love chocolate chip cookies, but I had this great Chehalis mint candies (If you haven't tried them get some now!  You will not regret it.  Go to http://www.chehalismints.com/)  so I threw some of those in as well as espresso grounds.

And out of the oven came delicious

Mocha Mint Cookies
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1 Tablespoon baking soda
1 Teaspoon salt
1 (heaping) Tablespoon espresso grounds
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup Chehalis mints

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.  Roughly chop the Chehalis mint candies and set aside.  In a medium bowl mix flour, baking soda, salt, and espresso grounds.  Set aside.  In a large bowl cream together butter and sugars.  Make sure everything is completely incorporated.  Then add eggs, I like to add them one at a time.  Beat dough together until the color of the dough starts to lighten.  It just tastes better this way.  Add vanilla and beat for at least another 30 seconds.   Now if you are using a stand mixture (which is totally fine and makes everything easier) take the bowl off the stand, put the beater attachments aside, get a good sturdy spoon and roll up your sleeves. 

Slowly add the flour mixture into the butter mixture, making sure all the flour gets thoroughly incorporated.  But using your own strength and a spoon your kitchen stays cleaner (no flour spraying everywhere), you get an arm workout and I just feel like it connects your to your baking.  Weird, I know, but I like to be as hands on as possible.  Until I buy a Kitchen Aid, and then all bets are off. 

Yummy, Creamy Chehalis Mint Candies

Lastly add the Chehalis Mints and the chocolate chips and mix until everything is combined.  Drop tablespoon size cookie dough balls on a baking sheet and cook from 8-10 minutes. And enjoy! 
I'm still sick, but the cookies made me feel better and there's nothing like a warm, gooey cookie with a cold glass of milk. 

Keep tasting,

No comments:

Post a Comment